April 3, 2013

Super Bowl Champion Long Snapper Morgan Cox; Interview with STU

By: Long Snapping Coach Kyle Stelter

Special Teams University was able to catch up with Super Bowl Champion long snapper Morgan Cox of the Baltimore Ravens for an interview.



Q: What is your earliest recollection of snapping a ball?

A: First time I snapped was at a rec league football practice when I was in 5th grade. First try wasn't very good but my dad had me try it again and I did better and was named the team's long snapper. From then on I just always raised my hand when my coaches asked at the beginning of the season who could long snap. I wasn't always first string.






Q: Did you look up to any long snappers growing up? Who?
A: I always looked up to Ethan Albright and Patrick Mannelly. Ethan because he was a family friend and I always heard people talking about him. Patrick because he played so long and at such a high level in The Windy City.



Q: What is your favorite memory of snapping in college?
A: In college, my first snap at Cal in 2007, snapping in the SEC championship against LSU in 2007, and snapping a potentially game winning field goal against Alabama (the kick was blocked but I did my job and remember the moments leading up to the snap vividly).



Q: How much has your form changed from high school to where you are now?
A: The changes that have come in my form are in large part due to my blocking. I have had to make adjustments over the years to my snap in order to get out of my stance faster and stronger.


Q: Do you have any advice for young snappers?
A: Keep long snapping. Practice, practice, practice. There is no secret potion and no two long snappers snap exactly alike. Figure out what works for you and be able to adapt to changes because you will have to change things the longer you snap. My favorite drill is lying on my back and tossing the ball in the air and simulating the snap. It helps muscle memory and allows me to concentrate on a clean release.



You can follow Morgan on Twitter @CmorganCox




No comments:

Post a Comment